MOOSE, Wyo. (AP) — A parasitic amoeba that causes deadly brain infections has turned up in a warm spring in Grand Teton National Park, prompting a warning Monday for anybody intent on soaking in the popular pool: If you absolutely must take a dip, try not to get water up your nose.
The single-celled, microscopic Naegleria fowleri amoeba typically occurs in the Southern U.S., not the Rocky Mountain West. Nobody on record has fallen ill from the parasite in Wyoming.
Cases of the so-called “brain-eating” amoeba are rare – just a handful in the U.S. every year – but get attention. The amoeba killed an 11-year-old girl in South Carolina on Friday.
Tests recently confirmed the amoeba in , a popular spot for locals to take the edge off a mountain-country chill. MORE