American Thinker –
The turmoil in Hong Kong is a huuuuuuge embarrassment for Democrats. Hong Kongers are waving the stars and stripes, singing the national anthem, and issuing a global cry for freedom. For a Democratic party that loudly supports bend-a-knee leftists who hate the U.S. flag, such as Colin Kaepernick, that’s a problem. And for a party that is trying to sell socialism to the U.S. public, well, thug-state China’s got socialism in spades.
President Trump has taken flak for his response to the crisis, arguably so, but the real clown show is in what’s coming from the Democrats.
Here’s what Axios found when it tried to get answers from Democratic presidential candidates about what to do, particularly if the Chicoms get violent with the Hongkongers:
- Sen. Bernie Sanders and former Rep. Beto O’Rourke offered the most specific responses. Sanders’ campaign said the senator, if elected president, would be willing to sanction foreign officials involved in human rights abuses, including violence against demonstrators.
- The O’Rourke campaign said he would support Rep. Jim McGovern’s legislation to halt the sale of munitions and police equipment to the Hong Kong police, and would support sanctions on those perpetrating human rights violations.
- The campaign also said O’Rourke “would work with allies in the region and across the world to condemn any acts of violence in response to non-violent protests.”
- Aides to former Vice President Joe Biden, Sens. Kamala Harris and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg directed Axios to the candidates’ public responses, none of which offered a direct solution in the event China uses violent military force.
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s campaign offered a vague statement on her support for the protesters, but did not address Axios’ question.
- Sens. Cory Booker and Amy Klobuchar, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, Andrew Yang, and former HUD Secretary Julián Castro did not respond to requests for comment.
O.K., so cowardice and an embarrassed silence is the response from the vast majority of them. Total tongue-ties from Booker, Klobuchar (the supposed moderate), Gabbard (figures, she has a soft spot for Russia’s Putin and Chavista Venezuela), Yang, and Castro. Can’t have anything cutting into that support for the Colin Kaepernick vote for those guys. more here