LONGMONT, Colo. (CBS4)– Police in Longmont are trying to figure out how a toddler got her hands on marijuana that made her sick.
Two year old Evelyn tested positive for pot and ended up in the hospital but her mother doesn’t know how the child came into contact with the now-legal drug.
Evelyn’s mother, Aida Hernandez, believes the child ate part of a cookie she found on the ground in the grass outside of their apartment.
“It was brown, like a chocolate chip cookie,” said Hernandez.
Hernandez said she took it away from her but about a half hour later noticed something was wrong.
“She was asleep, she was opening and closing her eyes and she couldn’t walk really well. She was weak,” said Hernandez.
Hernandez said they immediately went to the hospital where doctors said the toddler tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.
“They do a blood test and that’s when they told me. That was a surprise,” said Hernandez.
Police in Longmont are investigating but said they do believe the mother. Officers searched the home for any signs of marijuana use and found nothing.
Hernandez also said she has agreed to take a blood test.
“It’s everywhere now that it’s legal they have it everywhere,” said Hernandez.