DENVER — It’s the first death linked to marijuana intoxication since recreational pot became legal in the state in January.
The Denver County Coroner says pot contributed to the college student’s death last month.
Levy Thamba, 19, was a bright engineering student from the Republic of Congo in Africa.
He was visiting Denver for Spring Break with three other friends.
Investigators say the lure of legal marijuana in Colorado drew them here from Northwest College in Powell, Wyoming.
He would never return.
The Denver County Coroner says while at the Holiday Inn at Stapleton, a friend of his took a bite of a marijuana cookie. She got sick from it.
Thamba then took a bite and when he didn’t get a reaction, he ate the whole cookie.
It was the first time the group had tried pot.
Friends say he started acting erratically, got upset and sick and ran out of their room—straight over the balcony inside the hotel.