Puffer Fish Claims Two Lives After it Was Eaten For Dinner – IOTW Report

Puffer Fish Claims Two Lives After it Was Eaten For Dinner

Newser-

A woman has sent up a red flag and is now lobbying for stronger laws in Malaysia around the sale of a toxic fish after her elderly parents ate some of it for lunch and died. Authorities in the state of Johor say that Lim Siew Guan and her husband, Ng Chuan Sing, both in their 80s, had purchased at least two puffer fish from a vendor on March 25, reports CNN. Lim is said to have fried the fish up that very same day for a meal, and he and his wife consumed it. Just minutes afterward, Lim began to have “breathing difficulties and shivers,” authorities say. Her husband soon started showing similar signs of distress, and one of the couple’s sons, who lives locally, rushed them to a hospital, where they ended up in the ICU, their daughter, Ng Ai Lee, tells the Star.

more

14 Comments on Puffer Fish Claims Two Lives After it Was Eaten For Dinner

  1. “In Malaysia, it’s illegal to sell puffer fish meat; offenders could see a fine of up to $2,300 and a maximum prison sentence of two years.”

    They should make it illegal to buy puffer fish and the penalty should be a death sentence. Problem solved.

    4
  2. “Lim Siew Guan and her husband, Ng Chuan Sing, both in their 80s, had purchased at least two puffer fish from a vendor on March 25, reports CNN”

    80 years old, lived in Malaysia all their life and they never heard a puffer fish wasn’t fit to eat? I don’t live there and even I know not to eat it. They don’t have the quality control that we have, and that is iffy.

    2
  3. “They don’t have the quality control that we have, and that is iffy.” …. I am constantly astounded that 1M people a year don’t die from “fast food”. I cook my own meals.
    FJB

    1

Comments are closed.